Build a robot – Part 5: Finding the right motor driver

After mounting and attaching the Arduino and ultrasonic sensor it is time to spend some thinking time about the driving concept. At first we have to look at some technical specifications of the two dc motors:

• no load current: 200mA (max)
  • rated current: 1200mA (max)
  • stall current: 4500mA (max)
  • working voltage: 9V

The dc motor needs 9 Volts to operate. The three other specifications are describing the following,

• no load current
    • the minimum amount of Ampere the motor will consume
  • rated current
    • the amount of Ampere the motor consuming on full speed
  • stall current
    • the amount of Ampere the motor consuming when blocked e.g. by too much load or driving against an non movable obstacle

Only by the fact that the motor requires 9 Volts the Arduino itself cannot be used to power the motor. The GPIO pins are only serving a maximum of 5 Volts. Additionally the maximum output of 20 mA is also not usable. Therefor a suitable motor driver has to be used. Major features are:

• 6.5V to 45V motor power voltage
  • Up to 5.5V logic level on IN pins
  • 565mΩ Typical RDS(on) (high + low)
  • 3.6A peak current
  • PWM control
  • Current limiting/regulation without an inline sense resistor
  • Undervoltage lockout
  • Overcurrent protection
  • Thermal shutdown

You see, the Ardafruit DRV8871 has some specs which are suitable to control one dc motor. In total we have to use two of them. A complete and easy documentation of installation and usage can be downloaded here.

7 thoughts on “Build a robot – Part 5: Finding the right motor driver

• September 29, 2018 at 12:12 am

Hi. I see that you don’t update your site too often. I know that writing posts is boring and time consuming.

But did you know that there is a tool that allows you to create new articles using existing content (from article directories or
    other blogs from your niche)? And it does it very well.
    The new articles are high quality and pass the copyscape test.
    Search in google and try: miftolo’s tools

• November 13, 2018 at 10:50 am

I see you don’t monetize your page, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra bucks every month.

You can use the best adsense alternative for
    any type of website (they approve all websites), for
    more details simply search in gooogle: boorfe’s tips monetize your website

• January 27, 2019 at 7:41 pm

I think other site proprietors should take this web site as an model, very clean and magnificent user friendly style and design, as well as the content. You are an expert in this topic!

• February 19, 2019 at 1:39 pm

Hello. I have checked your bastelschuppen.com and i see you’ve got some duplicate content so probably
    it is the reason that you don’t rank hi
    in google. But you can fix this issue fast. There
    is a tool that generates articles like human, just search in google:
    miftolo’s tools

• April 27, 2019 at 8:50 am

First of all I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.

I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing.
    I have had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out.
    I do take pleasure in writing but it just seems like
    the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally
    wasted just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any ideas or hints? Appreciate it!